View Single Post
Old 09-06-2002, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 427 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Motor Has To Come Out >???>bad Rear Main ???

...so we dyed my motor and traced the oil leak to the rear main seal, which has already been replaced once. It's a 2 piece. Now it turns out that the back of the cam may possibly be egg shaped or not completely flat, allowing oil behind it and at every start up it pushes it out the rear main. I am being told 2 things:

1. The motor has to be pulled, torn down, a 1 piece spring loaded rear main put in and then the motor put back together and dropped back in. (would this be considered a rebuild??)

2. Second option (maybe) is to use some sort of sleeve or tool that takes the 2 piece main seal out (without pulling the motor) and replaces it with a one piece. This alternative sounds like the best way to go with the least amount of trouble and cost. But, I want it to be done right. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, does it work ??

Everything else has been perfect with the motor and it runs like a bat outta hell, CHP builds very nice stuff - I just don't understand why a 1 piece main seal wasn't used from the get go...

Any thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.