View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

John,
The lower hose is new. The new radiator has AN fittings so I fabricated a new hose when I installed the radiator.

WAIT! I'M NOT PULLING MY HEADS. I'VE FOUND SOMETHING!

This may be a stretch and unrelated but some people tell me it may be the cause of my problem.

Here goes: While I was waiting for the new radiator I took off my two fuel filters to clean. The filter that goes between the tank and the pump is a System 1 9" inline with a reusable stainless 45 micron filter screen (non restrictive). Next is the pump, a Holley black 140gph, then a Canton Mecca small canister with an 8 micron paper filter, then the regulator to the carb.

The 9" inline had some dirt and stuff in it but that is normal. However when I pulled the filter out of the Canton canister it was loaded with clear silicone! And I mean loaded!. Now I don't own any clear silicone. I've heard that when some of these gas tanks are fabricated they are 'touched up' inside with a bead of silicone. If this is the case, and it looks like it is, this silicone worked it's way into my fuel system.

So now I test the pump. This pump is supposed to put out 140 gpm which comes down to about 1.165 gallons in 30 seconds. Well I turn on the pump and it pumps less than a pint in 30 seconds!!

This starving condition (under load remember?) could be leaning the engine out so much that the engine just heats up.

I disonnected the line from the tank at the 9" filter and took everything apart, including the pump and regulater. Other than some gravel in the pump screen everything else was ok. I tore down the carb and blew everyting out. However, when I put everything back I still could only pump less than a pint in 30 seconds.

I'm borrowing a Holley blue today and will swap it out and try it. If it is the same than I suspect the regulator.

Almost ready for the Funny Farm,
Roscoe