View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 428 Police Intercepter block

I have searched the forum for answers before posting and can't find the answer to this question so please help. If I made a mistake please direct me to the proper link as I don't want to waste the bandwidth.

I am starting to put together an engine for a Cobra kit. I am on total information overload but know that the original cars came with either a 427 s/o or a Police intercepter 428 (more 428's then s/o) so I read. I will be strictly using this for occasional road use and am not a speed person. I just LOVE the car!

I think I am going to build the PI engine but I can not find a definitive answer on what makes the engine(block) so different. I bought a couple of Ford engine books and still can't find the answer. I understand that there was a standard 428, CJ, SCJ and PI block. The books state clearly how to tell the difference with special codes (sometime always not accurate!) but I can't find any information on how to identify a PI block.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, where is the best place to buy and rough cost ($1000 question).

TIA