View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Stock setup, I believe, uses MII clutch cable and firewall adapter/mount. It adjusts at the clutch fork. Some folks have experienced difficulty in keeping clutch in adjustment if the 'glass on the firewall is a litttle thin where the MII firewall mount attaches.

I used a different approach. Used late ('79-up) Mustang aftermarket (BBK) clutch cable, quadrant, and adjustable firewall adapter from Summit. Most local speed shops carry these also.

Used a portion of the quadrant grafted onto the CR clutch pedal upper portion. Works like a Nautilus Machine cam, instead of a straight pull. The cable is longer, beefier, and teflon lined for minimal friction. The rubber piece is discarded. The BBK firewall adjuster was mounted on an aluminum "Puck" I made from a piece of scrap aluminum that positioned the firewall end of the cable the same distance from the firewall as the MII piece did, but spread the load over a larger surface, and mounted the same way. (sounds complicated, but it's not). For additional insurance, I used a rubber gasket (hardware store, plumbing dept) to cushion the puck. I used aluminum because I had a piece. Plastic, poly, even wood will work.

At any rate, the clutch pull is a lot smoother and easier (I can depress clutch - Centerforce unit - with my hand). Clutch now adjusts both at the firewall for incremental adjustments, and at the clutch fork for initial setup. The cable is long enough to be mounted away from a header.

Have shots and Summit part numbers of this if anyone is interested.

11,000 miles, and still working perfectly. Only regret is not upgrading the stock clutch pedal shaft bushings to bearings while I had it apart. Mileage includes a lot of stop and go driving, and some bushing wear is evident.