View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

e-mail is jwalsh21@ix.netcom.com. Send, and will return e-mail with shots and part #'s.

DV, Firewall never flexed or cracked on me personally. Anticipated this as a potential problem area and installed the BBK setup with firewall adapter and mount. Of several clutch adjustment posts I corresponded on, a Rick Harms out in your neck of the woods (Columbus, Ohio) had a 408W and was tearing his hair out with this. Installed this setup and clutch adjustment woes stopped. The glass doesn't crack per se', but frays...softens...becomes un-homogenious. Then it flexes, moves back and forth as clutch depresses, and cable exerts load on firewall. Given the sum of mechanical advantages in the linkage to move the throwout bearaing 3/8" through a clutch pedal travel of 4" - 5", and it doesn't take much slop to throw clutch engagement out of kilter.

Actually, this was just Phase 1 of getting a clutch pedal effort I could live with after driving another CR, stock clutch, and very unacceptable pedal effort. (Almost put a C4 automatic in the car because of this) Much to my pleasant surprise, this was all that was necessary.

Another pleasant surprise was the effortlessness with the way this T5Z shifts. T5's are the bane of all Mustang drag racers, right? They blow up. Liberty Transmissions and I had a lenghtly discussion over T5 vs Tremec 3550. The Cobra is 1000 pounds lighter than a Mustang, you can't put enough torque through the transmission with street tires to damage the trans, the tires will spin first. Overshift the trans and you break the forks. Protect the forks with an aftermarket shifter with overshift stop bolts (Hurst, among others has this) and the trans should last. The T5Z, with me driving it, should last well beyond 100,000 miles. And it shifts like a Honda.