View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I am really going to confuse you now.

First, before you do any changes in tire durometer, you must check the tire temps. Are you over heating the rears? Or are they running the right temps. The pressure gain in the back may be normal for the tire. It could be that you are not working the fronts hard enough to get them up to the temps of the rears.

Since you are already one step harder in the rear, you really need to check temps!!! Also, you need to check the damper rates as discussed above.

One thing that will really confuse the setup process are tires. Strangly enough, it is easier to over heat a hard rear tire as you can put a bunch of heat into them due to slippage from them being cold. In other words you can go right past the optimum temp and over heat them very quickly.

The bottom line, is you need to check the temps of the tires before you make any decisions as to compounds.

Also, did you compare your laps times from this last track session to previous ones? I recommend that you also start doing sector times. This is really important when dialing the car in.

Richard Hudgins