Thread: 17" Tires
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello Baxter,

OK - I guess the operative question is "how and where do you intend to use the tires?"

The track tires are generally good only on the track - and almost all of them are good when it's dry If it rains, they can be a 100% adventure in loss of traction. Street tires can be, um, interesting whereas race tires can be scary when it's wet.

On the street, I use the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. They're a bit pricey. They're pretty good tires.

I'd suggest another trip back through the Tire Rack site, doing some heavy reading there along the way. They've got some reviews and recommendations for the different kinds and brands of tires.

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a Z or Y rated tire. That's actually one of the reasons I switched to the 17 inch size - couldn't find a high speed tire in 15 inch that was large enough. I think it's risky to run a "P" series tire on a car that can go FAST! Even if we don't hear about tire problems, I still think it it's a risk.

I've used the Pilots on the track once already, and intend to use them again for race driving schools. They seem fine so far.

Certainly there are several other brands that are as good or better.

Yep, I'm afraid you may be on the verge of having "YALE" (that's "yet another learning experience")

Regards,

Tom

PS: After what these cost, I have severely limited the number of burnouts that I am willing to do