View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Lubrecon
Not Ranked     

Mr. Back in Black: If you want to make a couple of turns around the track, or a couple of runs on the drag strip, use non-detergent oil to your hearts desire. Many racers do and then tear down the engineand rebuild it. They are looking for viscosity, which is the most imporant aspect of any oil not oil performance. But you, I, and many others on this board do more than just race with our cars and our engines. Without a modern additive package that includes many things, the non-detergent oil will oxidize rapidly, sludge up, and the wear rate will skyrocket as compared to an API SL oil. Ask the oil companies about non-detergent engine oils and see what they say. Get on the web for your proof, or choose not to believe me, it is your choice. Your crate engine or bracket engine may have been run for 20 minutes, but if you think the auto companies do, think again. Anyway are you telling me that 20 minutes will break an engine in? Some engines are test run to look for any immediate problems, not to break them in. Rings still seat with Mobil 1 or any other PAO, they are not too slippery, ask GM, Chrylser, or Porsche, or Mercedes. They are the premier engine oils of today.

Mr. Fixit: Valvoline and Castrol may still have a ND in their line, but can you find me someone who uses it their Cobra, or any other car other than a fogger? Anyway, why would you? Why do you think the API, SAE, ASTM, and ILSAC continue to improve the engine oil specs? And why are those backward compatible? They only improve the older engines operating capabilities and longetivity.

I am not trying to start an arguement, I am trying to help you guys make an intelligent engine oil choice for your $5,000-$10,000 engine. Why would you not spend $20-$30 bucks for an oil that is the very best if you just spect $40,000 on a car with an HP engine? Where is the logic??

Ok, pile it on, I am ready.!!