View Single Post
Old 10-26-2002, 05:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James,
I have the FIA version of the roadster. I got in in July and am very happy. I wanted an FIA but we were unable to get a body so we put our heads together and came up with this "hybred" based on old photos and modified the 427 to look as much as an FIA as we reasonably could.
The frame is custom made using the Daytona coupe
frame of HDR and modifing it to suit 427 body. I went with a custom built 351 .30 over instead of crate engine. T5Z race prepped and Auburn PRO GOLD rear , live axle not IRS and have no complaints about handling or ride quality. I know that many owners on all the forums praise IRS but the way this car's suspension has been designed I did not believe it was necessary and still believe that.
The body is made by Hunter in Fl. and I happen to like the narrow hip look....others prefer wide hip. It is a personal thing like IRS vs. live axle.
People who have seen my car have said it is pretty cool and have been impressed by Rick's attention to detail. This is kind of a different concept but I believe that a little individuality is a good thing . If you want a dead on copy of 427 go to Kirkham or SAI. I for one like them too but a little to pricey for me. This is after all a "toy", maybe some day.
I suggest you check HDR web site ( the pictures of 427 are from my car ), there is alot of info there. Give Rick a call but be forewarned the guy will talk your ear off. He is a car guy. He has my phone number if you want to call me. Where are you located
? I am on Long Island, if you are in my area and want to see the car you are welcome at any time.

Tom S.