View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Vince,

The 351W with this cam is great on the street. It is a daily driver, rain or shine, hot or cold. I do tend to be a bit conservative when configuring an engine because I know how I'll drive it when finished. Can't imagine daily traffic in Leeds England being any worse than daily traffic here in DC. 0 - 20 MPH stuck at the bridge. 20 - 35 MPH in-town. But even cruising on the Interstate at 80 - 85 MPH, that's still only 2600 - 2800 RPM in 5th. And no downshifting for passing.

Engine is well mannered, owing possibly to the unusually high idle vacuum these hydraulic rollers have. The engine does change its personality when the tach needle hits 3000 RPM, and the carb secondaries open up. You'd swear that the car has solid rocket boosters strapped to the sides.

That being said, I'd consider this cam the upper limit in a streetable street cam for a properly configured engine. The 215/215 might even be a better choice for a mostly in-town driving cam.

You're using Dyno 2000, so don't let peak numbers sway you into using too much cam or carb. Look at the area on the curve where you'll be driving the car, 2000 - 4000 RPM, and do your side by side comparisons.

I'm using TFS Twisted Wedge heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves. CR is 9.75:1 and runs on 92 - 93 octane pump gas. Intake is Edelbrock Performer RPM. Carb is 700 Holley double pumper.