View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Dreamer,
Can offer this,
I have a Haltech E6K I put on a 351C for an ERA GT. It uses direct fired, crank triggered, wasted spark ignition with a single Hall switch trigger. It has been on a dyno. The successor to the E6K, the E11, should have all these capabilities, plus more.

The direct fired ignition is dead nuts on, no matter the rpm. No distributor to worrry about nor trigger errors from a distributor. Costs more because of the additional coils. Well worth the cost in my opinion.

I'm running 4-48mm TWM throttle bodies. No mass air flow. Maps use speed density calcs base on engine rpm and TPS (throttle position). Closed loop O2 to just just above idle.
Note that closed loop is not a crutch for setting up the EFI maps
correctly. It is used to "trim" the map settings.
I have set up a Haltech on a 180 HP VW prior to the GT40. No closed loop on that ECU. It could be done with the engine in the car driving around on the street. Hard to do, but could be done.

A 400+ HP engine in a 2500# car is a completely different story. The money spent to set up the maps on the dyno was well worth it in my opinion. No way to maintain engine load and rpm on the street. Not only is doing it on the street illlegal, but it is dangerous. 2 hours of dyno time and the maps were set.

As I've said before, any of the ECU's you 've listed, plus more, will do the job nicely. Depends on how much you want to spend and how many bells and whistles you want.

Dave