Thread: Engine?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

My suggestion you give the kid a Viper was an excercise in absurdity.. Although given one or the other I do think he would have a more likely chance or reaching 30 in the Viper.. Antilock brakes, airbags, near 50/50 weight bias.. Lets not forget the balance of the factory warranty.. As well as the 7 or 8:1 HP to weight ratio..

Last time I looked the numbers we are batting around 550 hp or so in a 2500 pound car is 4.5:1.. NASCAR is right about there at 4.5:1 but they have 85 feet of 1 1/2" steel tubing and 3700lbs of sheetmetal around them..

It is not politically correct to talk about about street racing, not that rice burning stuff you see on the news and in the movies. I'm thinking Cannon Ball run style.. Silver state classic, that kind of thing.. Get the kid involved in something he can learn his limitations as well as the machine.. If he gets through it and still wants to go fast let him drive the Cobra.

I can't tell you how much underestimating an off-camber decreasing radius hairpin turn at 70 mph on a country road at night with a rock wall on one side and a barb wire fence on the other will put your head right.. Lest you think it is impossibe to flat spot street tires.. It is..

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)