Thread: Engine?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

We cursed Irish, and Murphy. We all know him too well, don't we!

But in keeping in context with this thread, this engine upgrade as driving skills improve applies to adults also.

Thought long and hard about the 393W stroker kit before installing the completed 351W engine waiting on the stand to drop in. Had no feel for power curve and car response. Taking the engine apart again would delay getting car on the street, and all I wanted to do was drive it, wring it out, then prioritize the upgrades.

Well, this (admittedly somewhat conservative) 351W, TFS heads, Comp hydraulic roller cam, roller rockers, Ede Perf RPM, 700 Holley, has more instant acceleration than 454/455's I've driven in normal size cars. I could get sideways, and backwards real easy in this thing with one careless move. It does require some (OK, a lot) of acclimating. I could greatly benefit from a competition driving school, and am not too macho to admit it.

Car now has 12,000+ miles on it and am thinking about that 393 stroker kit giving me a little more mid range torque. Thinking about it, but not doing anything about it.

Some years back, had a GTO with 400 motor. (Twice the weight of the Cobra) Tweaked it with some factory and aftermarket goodies. Beefed suspension, beefed brakes, cam, exhaust, better intake & carb, ported heads, recurved ignition, etc. Came rebuild time, decided to upgrade to 455. Instant torque at any RPM. Thought to myself many times, had I started with the tweaked 455 initially before learning the cars response with the gradually tweaked 400, I wouldn't be here today. The Cobra is a lot less forgiving. Screw up, and you're sideways, or backwards into the bushes.

I honestly don't know how you guys with 460's and 520's do it without killing yourselves without a lot of driving experience with very hot cars.

Our kids have not had the benefit or experience we had with factory (off the showroom floor) 400+HP musclecars. Handing the keys to a car with this kind of power to weight ratio to a youngster borders on criminal unless you plan on spending a lot of time with son (or daughter) in supervised driving instruction. That's assuming you, Dad, have the experience to do so.