View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 05:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Cobrashoch, I don't take your opinions as flaming. I hear what you are saying. However, you don't specify what you mean by putting together a package consumers can use. If you mean claims history, I don't think insurance companies do it for any type of car. I didn't ask our people for a detailed claims history, because that would just be a pain in the butt to put together and I had other work to accomplish. But keep in mind they aren't just "picking" on Cobra owners because they don't like us. There is a reason they are afraid to insure Cobras, and a valid one. As for your personal experiences, you didn't say why your experiences were bad, and that's probably a discussion for another time and place, but I think many people have misconceptions about what insurance is and what services it provides.
I agree 100% that the kit producers need to start getting involved, because it is their livelyhood. I hope that I can make contact with people at FFR, A&C, and other pure "kit" makers to talk to them about it.
I hope I can be a help in solving the problem, but remember, I am just one employee at one insurance company. I have little overall influence on the industry. But I think we can all be of help to each other.
I think DV is right. I think it would go a long way to getting some kind of standard for safety in the construction of the cars. It doesn't mean airbags and such. But just some way to ensure that a home built kit is assembled properly and isn't a hazard on the road. I know for sure that would help insurance companies write the risk.
Turk, I don't know much about the car that was said to have split in half. I don't know if it split due to the impact or poor construction, or both. Yes, it may be product liabiilty, but that would be fought out later, AFTER the insurance company paid their millions to settle the fatalities. So why would the insurance companies want to get involved in that in the first place? It goes back to what Cobrashoch said, and it somewhat true. They don't know everything about the collector car industry. They do know more than you think, but to them a Cobra is a Cobra. They don't know the difference really between FFR, Superformance, etc... It's hard to expect them to. Think about how many different cars they'd have to know about. Not just Cobras, but street rods, and all kinds of other cars that have hundreds of different builders. It's nearly impossible. But they have said they are willing to listen and learn about the Cobra. It is not a promise of insurance or anything, but an opportunity.
Remember, you can't compare motorcycle insurance, or general auto insurance, to collector car insurance. They are drastically different. Collector car insurance is typically 75% less than standard auto policies, and is designed for the Sunday drive. When one loss hits them, they feel it hard. As stated here, the motorcycles and Civics get lost in the crowd. But I can bet you that if those kids start wrecking the Civics and such, the rates will start to go up quickly. In fact, if I recall, I looked at a Civic a few years ago, and it's insurance rates were higher than the Accord.
DV, I hear what you are saying. That is why I caution that I am only one person who happens to both work in the specialty division of an insurance company AND own a Cobra, so I have duel interests. I want to help as much as I can, and will do so, but I won't stick my neck out far enough to get it chopped off. I have bills to pay and a wife who likes to shop. But as an enthusiast, I think we need to start helping ourselves and see what we can come up with. If I can act as a liason, I'd be happy to do so.
Bill is exactly right, just too many Cobra claims given the small number of Cobras out there. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, but I do not believe it is the insurance companies fault for our problems. There is no conspiracy theory here, ladies and gentlemen. They haven't singled us out for the hell of it. We can change this, and I hope to be a part of that.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.