View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Couple of things...

I would really prefer not to have an insurance person around the whole time--Friday nite for a discussion is good, and possibly the Friday morning autocross--the SCCA Safety Stewards (I is one!) will do their job in showing how tech is performed and safety is No.1 for even a parking lot event which stresses driving skill rather than horsepower. Saturday--I'm not so sure that's a good idea, but as you said Klayfish--it's up to DV.

I'm glad Wilf brought up the SVA. Great Britain has a large cottage industry of cars--not just homebuilds, and their scheme works! Why can't we do it ourselves? Bob Marsh has spoken to me several times about the need for industry trade protection--like other industries work together to have. I'd love to see standards set, inspections conducted, and MANDATORY high performance driving school attendance in order to get Cobra insurance. But I want committments from the insurance carriers to write the insurance and help fund these efforts.

Brett drove some good nails in--those factors have driven up all insurance. Most of us in the legal community--especially those of us who are defense attorneys, will tell you that "loser pays" is the one thing which would change everything promptly. I have a very high success ratio of winning cases against plaintiffs in employment law (sex harassment, etc.), but I can never give my clients any good news about what it cost to win. Plaintiff attorneys roll the dice on dozens of cases--they win one or two and it pays for the rest. Most of the Commonwealth nations have loser pay rules, and it works. Bush is pushing for it, but the trial attorneys are a strong lobby and pour millions into democrat candidate funds every election. We can only hope.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...