View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Evan

I was a Cobra groupie form the 70's and was lucky to run into the owner of 3002 during the mid 80's in Limerock. We became friendly after I sent him a videotape of him driving his car. The rest was history. It was a plus that he lived in Jersey.

Great 3002 Story...

I was always invited to his Superbowl party. There were always over 50 people there. It was a catered event with families waiting to watch the game on a giant sceen TV. As soon as the game started, all the guys were in the garage. 3002 was on a lift and the guys would just stand around admiring the car. None of us knew who was playing in the Superbowl and none of us cared. It was a tradition until the car was sold in 1997.
Those days will always be fondly remembered and missed.
As for the documents, I was helping the owner sell the car. I was in touch with Ritchie Kline from the Imperial Palace. He turned down the car for $550,000 because he thought it was too different from the regular 427 since it had the 289 nose. He said it would never be worth that kind of money. The owner finally sold the car to Mike Shoen for $437,500. That included the original wheels and original aluminum 427 heads that came on the car when Ken Miles drove it. It changed hands a few times since then. I bet that car would do well over 1 million today. I guess Mr. Klein was wrong not to buy it.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"