View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Time heals all wounds as they say. I still say Classic is one of the best engineered cars made. When they were making their presence known @ the run and guns the car always did very well and won top honors. DV will attest to the quality and engineering of the car. Why else would he have used it for his Double Venom platform. Over the years the car and the company have gone though trying times. Since the purchase of Classic by Imar last October a commitment was made to continue with the car division but with Gary at the helm not much has been accomplished. Most of the time spent with Gary is devoted to the boat division. I know his heart just isn't with the cars the way it was in the past. Management has come and gone and Gary has depended on them to do the right thing with Classic but it hasn't happened. As an example Bob Hart came in as GM and proceeded to throw away 5, 10 yard dumpsters of parts that he felt were obsolete. Trust me when I say there were many good parts. He also spent well over $100k in building renovation. Big plans, Big lies and no progress. I know of at least 5 GM's that had mostly self interest rather than any interest in the company. This has produced broken promises, lies, and general poor business practice.

I am sure all of you have been hearing rumors in the wind of changes coming @ Classic. I have been in contact with them for over 2 months now and am negotiating to purchase Classic along with 2 investors. I don't know if this will happen but we will make our final offer in about 2 weeks. If it doesn't happen then I probably will dissassociate myself with them because I to am tired of the BS.

The basis is there for a good company to rise from the ashes. I know what to do and how to do it. I spent many years doing accquisitions and mergers so I understand the complexities of the purchase. I'm also taking a big risk in persuing this venture. I have a letter of intent from DV and his group to become the US distributor for Classic products. He will proceed to setup a professional dealer network. I will make a committment to ship all product complete, be price competitive, honest, and make a profit for my investors. I have most vendors lined up and ready to produce. We will undertake a new builders manual and I have plans for many updated items for the car. I will listen to the customer and take suggestions seriously.

I'm tired of the industry and the ripoff artists that come and go. There is a place for good honest people in this business and we can pick several examples such as FinishLine. I think mine and DV's reputations speak for themselves. I will always continue to conduct any business I own with honesty and integrity. We as a group must stick together and not allow any company to take advantage of us anymore. I have devoted over 13 years of my life to this industry and I hope to give many more.

I do believe that if I can reach an agreement with IMAR that it won't be long that people can be proud to say they own a Classic.

I probably shouldn't have released this info yet because it's not a done deal. My main motivation is to let Classic customers know what is happening and why. With this in progress of course IMAR isn't real interested in stocking parts or filling backorders. I will assume all backorders and pending orders after the purchase. So I will post either way when a final decision is made.
Don