View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Ernie - torque is KING - end of story. If your engine doesn't make much torque, it'll never feel good in your Cobra (unless you can rev your engine to 18000+ like an F1 racecar).

F1 motors only make around 280lb/ft torque, but they make it at 18000rpm. As a result, they're making horsepower in the high 800s. If their torque peaked at street car levels of engine rpm (say 4000), then it would only make 213hp!!!

On a much lesser scale, when I had my motor on the dyno it made 705lb/ft of torque at 6000rpm. Using the equation of HP = (tq x rpm) / 5252 , my motor was making 805hp. Next run, we went to 6400rpm, where the motor mainained a peak of exactly 705lb/ft. This meant that simply by holding the torque peak for another 400rpm increased horsepower by an EXTRA 54hp!!!!

Torque is what you feel while you're accelerating. The more torque you have across the rpm range, the better for a street engine. The higher up in the rpm range you can sustain torque, as a simple mathematical equation, the more horsepower that you will make.

LEXTREME - sooner or later OZVENOM will get back from picking up his newborn and wife from the hospital, and he'll definitely agree with your comments about the durability of the standard components inside the Lexus V8. I have a feeling that he'll put a couple of big mother turbos on his car down the track, just to see what they're capable of. Now that he has the Motec engine management system with Lambda tuning functions, the sky's the limit as far as pushing the engine harder. Good luck with your projects!