Thread: JMarsey JBL
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hi John,

I looked at the laser device. It seems that it would work well. However, they still use a tape measure to set the suspension.

However, you can do the same thing by making .250 aluminium plates that are 20-25 inches wide and and 20 inches tall. You then machine the wheel bolt pattern and a clearance hole for the hub center. These are located in the center of plate on the horizontal plane and and at the top on the vertical plane. (This allows the plate to hang down below the chassis, so that you can measure across and under the chassis.)

You will also need to make some solid damper rods of the correct lenght to hold the suspension at ride height position with the car on jack stands.

With these in place, you can set toe, camber, caster, etc. quite easily and accurately.

If you would like a drawing, I think that JBL Dave has some already done. He has made a couple of sets of these plates and that is what is used in house to set suspensions. (His are way too complex with bubble levels, center and outer scribe lines, etc. But that is the way Dave does things.)

As to a web site, you are welcome to put up a section of your own on the JBL site if you would like. The server is a Win2000 unit with Front page extensions, so you could easily put up your site.

Richard Hudgins