View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

To all:

Since this is has been brought up, and for the most part it is NOT a secret that Don and I both sell parts. The same parts and specialized parts for different situations. It's a marriage that no one out side of our Cobra family would ever understand.

Just for your information, Don and I have made bids for turnkeys, parts packages, etc., against each other for years. Bottom line, in the business world we were direct competitors. It was not uncommon for the winner of the bid, to call the other, with full knowledge, the "other" was out bid, and buy parts from the looser. How we became friends instead of bitter competitors, I can only say it was a complete and total respect for each other. Knowing that each other had their special talents to make these cars better and safer. The old saying, "If you can't beat them--join them" has never been so justified. Actually, to this day I can't remember a day when Don or I asked each other to team up. It just kind of happened.

It did not phase me in the least when Don called and said he had investors that were willing to pick up the remains of CR's and make it better. Now a fact that I don't think Don even knew. I too had gathered up a few investors that were waiting in the wings for the right moment! Don beat me to the gun. He called, he asked for my support and I immediately gave it to him with no reservations. So once again we have teamed up. The future is a scary thing. But I give you a solemn promise, if DON can make this work, if CR's doesn't blow it, Classic Roadsters II, or what ever it ends up being called, will once again join the ranks of the finest, the most modern and one of the safest Cobras on the street!

Like Jack says, at the time, it was and still is one of the best Cobras on the market! Yes, it surely needs updated and "we" know what to do and how to do it! AND...if the ongoing nightmare can be put to bed, it will be done!

I have numerous reasons for not telling "all" here, but it appears the time is drawing near.

Neither Don nor I, (and we have never discussed this that I know of) have ever advertised our business on Brent's forum. Yes, both of us have tried to help, and if it made your car safer, we supplied parts, suggestions, what ever it took to get the means.

Yes, I do have a very old (in this business anyway) Cobra and Streetrod business that my wife and I started in 1970.
Again for those that may not know, I am: "Classics by Elite, Inc." with a trademark logo - "Yesterday's Classics - Today's Technology!" (This is how the first Double Venom was born- "Today's Technology")

Many of you have honored my wife and I by visiting our current little back yard shop over the last 18 years. It's nothing to look at, I mean it was a cow barn when we bought it and didn't even have concrete floors in it!

I'm getting to a point-really!

Three years ago, I had a banner made up for Brent simply because we were talking so much and selling many, many steering columns to you guys because of this forum. Then "THE Fling" was born. Do you guys really remembered how it happened? If not read the newly posted information on the Fling site. www.dvsf.com

First year wasn't a problem, at least not until the very end. DVSF II was started before DVSF-I was even over with. Now I was concerned that people might think I was trying to benefit my business by using Jenny. (If you did, then you don't know me!) No where will you see my business name anywhere attached to the Fling, other than having our name listed this year in the sponsors list.

OK...the point. Yes, I am a FORD MOTORSPORT dealer and have been for almost 10 years. Don and I are both legal dealers for so many company's now that it is hard to keep track of them. Flaming River, Gaffrig Gauges, M&R Seatbelts, PRO shocks, Blue Coil, etc., etc.

Like Don, I have and will continue to ship guys parts without being paid first, I will continue to take and make orders prior to payments, like Don, I have never been burnt by anyone in our Cobra family. I see no reason to change the way I do business now.

This is getting really long and I really am so short of time these days, but I feel I must tell another little secret. Since it fits and "you" will need, or should know that after 33 years in business, my wife and I decided to take on a partner. Some of you know him from "kicking butt" at Run & Gun with the original DV car, some even got to meet him personally at last years Fling.

Jay comes on board, with an engineering degree and a burning desire that Don and I share to the bone. I came from the school of "hard knocks" and midnight-street racing. I have a very extensive background in Accident Reconstruction. (Investigating and reconstructing fatal accidents) After 25+ years on the police department, running the business all at the same time, watching the Mrs. raise our family, I have been thinking, very hard over the last few years of simply retiring, and going fishin'. The only reason I didn't close the doors years ago, was because I love it so, and The Fling. Oh yes, the Fling. You guys have made this my proudest accomplishment.

I am so proud to introduce to you, MR. Jay (Jerome) Kowalik! Jay, a full fledged ASE engineer gave up over 12 years of employment at Honda of America to join my wife and I. (And you only thought "riding" in a cobra was addictive!)
Jay is learning the "kit car" market as you and I have. From sweeping the floors right up to designing and building new tilt front ends! Jay has brought a whole new level to Classics by Elite that I never would have been able to do alone.

Welcome aboard Jay! I know the Cobra family welcomes you with open arms.

DV...If any of you made it all the way through this, I owe you a cookie! Now back to the Fling!

Last edited by Double Venom; 03-29-2003 at 07:41 PM..