View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Levy Racing built FFR w/351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by TerrysSPF
I hate to ask this, but...........isn't there such a thing as being "too light" in the front end of a Cobra?? I can see going with an alum block on a BIG BLOCK, but why an alum SB? Things get a little "light" in the front as it is (with an iron block) once you get above the century mark in these cars. What is the weight balance front / rear with an alum SB in there? Anybody??
Light weight equals better acceleration, braking and cornering. Also less strain/more longevity on components. Aerodynamics are responsible for lift. In a Cobra the windshield actually stabilizes the car. If you take off the windshield, you need a front spoiler. And a spoiler wouldn't be a bad idea if you are going over 150.

In my particular car, I have added weight and taken it off. Compared to a 302 powered car, I have added with a tremec 6-speed (50 lbs over a T5), Levy Racing stage 5 chassis (30 lbs.). But I have taken away with AL everything for the engine (including flywheel), brakes (30 lbs) and wheels (45 lbs.) I am looking for 2100 to 2200 lbs. About 48/52 F/R distribution.