View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Snake Farmer,

The simple solution is to use a fuel cell with a bottom outlet and mount your fuel pumps on the frame rail behind the right rear wheel. You should be able to get the bottom of the pumps at the same level as the bottom of the cell. This is the way I set up mine (except with a steel gas tank from a Bronco, not a fuel cell) and it's been running great for 16 years. Once in a while, one of the pumps gets too much trash in it and quits. Then, I turn on the spare.

The only drawback to this setup is, if the line is broken in an accident, all the fuel will pour out. To prevent that, I used 3/8th inch steel brake line for the whole system with short pieces of rubber fuel line to connect the parts. I just bought an Oberg fuel filter on eBay to run the gas through before the pumps to prevent clogging them up. It's surprising how much trash comes out of the filling station tanks!

I am using a Carter fuel pump with a standard universal pump as a backup. I used to worry about them being exposed to water splash and flying rocks from the nearby wheel and thought about making a little shield to protect them. But I never got around to it and they don't seem to mind. On these rallies, we run some pretty rough roads, too.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-16-2003 at 12:51 PM..