View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Ceramic disks wear the whole setup, pressure plate and the flywheel facing. Usially when the disk is shot the whole works will need replaced, but I agree they will generally last a bit longer on the street. I also had problems with them a few years back on making stickey shifts when they got hot, but they tell me that isn't a problem nowdays.
For me though its got to be a pro "long" style pressure plate. That way you just change the disk every two seasons or so to inexpensive bonded (not rivited) racing organic disks. And a Pro clutch pressure plate is easily rebuilt and still cheaper than buying stock pressure plates.
Another option is to look at the new Mcloed soft-loc clutch that the pro 5.0 boys are using. Don't know how durable they are on the street though.
Multiple disk clutches are horrible on the street because they are either "in" or "out", no in between. But they are the best for racing for several reasons.
So ya see it's about how much you want to do, how often, how much money you want to spend, the intended use and so on and so on. Kinda like the process you went though when you thought about buying a Cobra, ya think?
Cobrashoch