View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A lot of research has been done on the noise created by an internal combustion engine.

A quick search on google reveals all kinds of research.

A quick glance at several projects seem to imply the biggest factors affecting exhaust noise is in-cylinder pressure, intake and exhaust valve interaction (i.e. valve sizes and timing), block, head, and piston design, and -- of course -- the exhaust system.

Apparently it's a very complex problem. Automakers are interested in this and spend a lot of time and money on research and computer models to design engines that make as little noise as possible or at least tailoring the sound to be pleasing to the buying public.

Of course, this doesn't explain the horrific sound some of those modded import cars make...

Due to the economic benefits, the internal combustion engine is probably the most researched and tested piece of technology in existance. Someone somewhere has to know the answer.

I sure if we could find an engineer in this field he could give as a quick concise answer on why a small-block Ford doesn't sound like a 427 even if they are of similar power and compression.

Now finding that person is another matter.

Interesting question.