View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bob Johnson #33

Got a pic of the #33 car at a drag strip, summer of 1962. Probably only one in the world. Well before the "Dragon Snake".Don't think I can get it posted here, but could email to whomever, to have it blown up for posting. I emailed CC off the bottom of the page, and then was able to register, so posting my response here.
Pic is horrible, and only shows BJ's car at speed, with no other cars in the pic. The #33 has MG TC 19" wire wheels on the front. Have seen/been at a zillion races, so details are lost in my brain box.
My first job out of High School was at a British car dealer. The shop foreman was one of Johnson's friends that helped him in racing. Some how, I got a chance to go to Johnson's shop to see the Cobra. For some reason think Tom Gratoex (sp?), Johnson's mechanic took me there, cause he scared the heck out of me coming back. (Bugeye Sprites can't go that fast, and shouldn't)
Saw BJ's BMC Formula JR, also. I was a huge drag fan, and hadn't got into the sprty car world at that point, but did think the drag boys would haove a stroke if a Cobra showed up. Wish I could remember more, but that's it. BJ, I think, had a wicked sense of humor, and the idea appealed to him, so it happened.
Example: The Ford falcon that he blew everybodys doors off with. Rumor had it that Ford got Po'd, since it was not on the "Race" list, and he was beating current race models. Rumored also that Ford told him to crush it. Friend of mine was set to buy it, but didn't. Let me know where to send the pic. pro4art@core.com.