View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry Car Won't Start !

I could really use some help on this one. Engine is a 351w that stopped running a few days back - no spark. The engine builder put in a Pertronix Ignitor on a mechanical distributor and after having one packed in a few months ago, decided to ditch it. Just for grins, I put in a set of points and condensor and got it running, but wouldn't idle and ran very rough and backfired. I assumed it was because there was no ballast resistor. Bought an MSD drop-in distributor (no electronic box) and new set of wires. Got the car started, but ran rough. Now, it won't run at all. I'm getting spark and fuel. Re-checked timing (set statically at 15 deg. BDTC per engine builder). Swapped coil - no difference. Cleaned plugs and re-gapped to .035 - nothing. Put points distributor back in - nope. Still getting spark and gas. Plugs look pretty wet when I check them. ANY SUGGESTIONS ??? Could the plugs have packed in? Fuel pressure too high and flooding engine? Wondering if the engine builder installed a 302 cam - it's a different firing order than the 351W and didn't take notice when I pulled the wires. Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike