View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

Air flow makes HP. Short of the all out racing heads ( Yates $4000.00, etc.), the AFR heads flow more air more efficiently. In other words for a given intake runner volume (same for exhaust), they flow more CFM of air at a particular valve lift. I am talking out of the box condition not ported. Certainly one can take any good head to a good head porter and get good flow numbers. The high flow AFR's are CNC machined for the runners and combustion chambers. This ensures consistency between cylinders.

AFR will send you a catalog that provides there flow data as compared to other brands (most comparisons are for SBC, but SBF would show same trends). Also there is a large head shootout going on in future issues of Mustangs and Fast Fords. They are leaving out AFR 205, 225 because they consider them to be race heads. I think this is a bad idea. I would like to see a shootout include all heads. Broken into catagories based on intake runner volume (e.g. 160 -180, 180 - 200, 200- 215, 215 - 240, etc.).

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com