View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

How I agonized over this one. 17"!!! Once you use them, you'll never go back. You won't believe it's the same car. No Sh!t! All the factory performance cars are using 17" wheels and tires, and only pure grocery getters and econoboxes are using 15's. Ever wonder why? And they don't look out of place, or not period correct, or like fork lift truck tires. Send me your e-mail, and I'll return some shots of mine with the 17's.

As above, on a 2400# Cobra, run your air pressure between 24 & 28 #.

The dry and wet road traction is awsome. Cornering is awsome. What you'll miss is the tire squealing, spinning, and smoke. The 17's just grab and go. A little "Chirp" when you get on it. Most guys with 15's don't dare drive their Cobras in the rain. With 17's, you're as much at home on a wet road, as a dry one.

Wheels are Team III, 17x8 front, 17x 9 1/2 rear. $300 apiece. Tires are 235/45ZR17 front, 275/40ZR17 rear. Sprung for Falken 451's. Less than $500 for the set of four from vulcantire.com. including shipping. Second choice was Bridgestone RE730's from Tirerack.com.

Tire selection. Don't believe the tire mfg's advertizing hype. Initially I was looking at BFG Comp T/A's, and Pirelli's. Read the consumer comments section on tirerack.com for some "Enlightening" commentary on what works, and what doesn't on some contemporary HP cars. It opened my eyes.

What sold me on Falkens? Contacted Falken Tech Support. They sent me a reprint of an article from the German equivalent of Road & Track comparing a variety of tires under a variety of conditions. The Falkens competed favorably against the Michliens, Pirelli's, Dunlops, BFG's etc., at about 2/3 - 1/2 the price.

13,000 miles on them now. Normal wear pattern. They should go 40,000 miles front, 50 - 60,000 miles rear.