View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by OZCOBRA

......BUT Craig what would be the acceptable deflection for a uni to work and cope with the a consitent binding movement??Are we not thinking too much towards the extreme end of the what-ifs...really with the live axle just how much movement are we going to have in the real world,surely it's not as if we are going to have 6''/8'' of travel consistently whilst under load ...don't you think the actual travel will be more likely to be 2''/3''.....in any case so we're changing uni's every 20000k's as a preventative measure instead of 100000 that in itself is a good thing is it not ,considering the number of cobra owners that neglect this little item until it destroys its self when you least want it to happen in the middle of nowhere or the track...!!!......I'm just exploring options and Mikes suggestions he is of the opinion it's not a real issue sure it's there....... BUT..??
There seem to be a lot of "red buts" appearing on this topic.....

The main thing that I suppose I'm concerned about with a short tailshaft is what angle the unis will be at just driving down the road. If your engine is tilted back at a reasonable angle, you'll need to adjust the pinion angle to more or less the same angle. Most guys seem to prefer having the crank centreline and the pinion sitting 1 degree from parallel (pinion down). This will increase the angle of the unis.

Regarding their service life, I must agree with you. If you just check them periodically and replace them as necessary, maybe it wouldn't be a problem.
I have a similar deal with my car - if the suspenion is fully compressed, the left tyre can touch the supercharger when it's at full steering lock. This isn't really a concern though, because if I'm ever in the situation that I'm at high speed with the suspension fully compressed AND on full steering lock, I have a whole lot more to worry about than rubbing a little mark on the blower housing

I still like the idea of the Holinger though!!!