View Single Post
Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to BO DUTCH
Not Ranked     

I used to frequent Coventry Motors in Walnut Creek, Ca. for parts to my Austin-Healey. They had 1 or 2 CSXs in their showroom, but being a BMC Dealership, they could have been there on loan from the Hayward Ford Dealer.

Coventry Motors sponsored Allen Grant's CSX. Talked to Allen and Ole Olsen many times (Ole was Allen's wrench). One time Allen was taking a perspective customer for a demo ride in his race car, #96. They had been gone for about 10 minutes when 4 CHP cruisers pulled into the car lot and spread out and hid !! Well, 15 minutes later here comes yellow 96, pipes a blazen rumbling into the lot. When the 4 CHP cars surround #96 !! They were not about to try and chase Allen down on the 680 freeway, just wait for him at the dealers. The Cops wrote him up for 130, but said he was doing 150 + !! The prospective customer, scared poopless, jumped in his XKE and split !! There was no windscreen on the passengers side of 96, and I can say from experience, It does nothing but thrash the He!! out of ya at those speeds !!
Late in 1964, (Sept. Oct.?) I drove #96 for a lap at Laguna Seca, Allen jokingly asked what took me so long? How many laps did take? I said I only took 1, I was not about to break his ride !! Allen shook his head, Ole thanked me !!
Knowing Allen, even if I broke the track record he would have said the same thing. "What took ya so long ?"

I was told that Allen Grant now resides in or around Ohio. Does anyone know ? Sure would like to contact him, he would be a wealth of info too. E-mail me if you have heard anything about his whereabouts, Sure would appreaciate it.

Bo
------------------------------------------