Thread: Average Age?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-1999, 09:48 AM
Jim Colman
Visit my Photo Gallery

Greetings all! I'm 49, started thinking seriously about obtaining a Cobra about five years ago when I stumbled across a kit car magazine. I had heard of and seen photos of Cobras ever since I was a teenager, but I had never actually seen a real or replica 427 S/C until I went to Run & Gun 97. I was totally awed! I had decided earlier to buy a replica but I knew nothing about them. I found a website that was maintined by a guy from Holland that had s list of Cobra owners around the world. I contacted some of the owners and asked a ton of questions (Neal Jackson was one of the people kind enough to write back, thanks Neal!) That got me started on the right track to deciding what I wanted
in a Cobra. Intresting as well, I decided to make a video about Cobra replicas to help me decide what manufacturer to buy from. Since I make television programs, commercials, and corporate videos for a living, it was fairly easy to get started on the video. I started interviewing people, filming Cobras in action and writing a script. After my first R&G, I had pretty much narrowed down my choices of manufacturers. I happened to find a pro built Midstates Cobra for sale in New Mexico that the builder was willing to sell for a
good price. I bought it sight unseen (except for four photographs) and he delivered it across country to North Carolina. I don't recommend buying a Cobra this way, but it worked out well for me. I've driven my Cobra for nearly two years now, putting 5000 miles on it. I'm still working on finsihing my video, which will be ready by mid April, but driving, maintaining, and (sometimes) racing my Cobra has given me a tremendous insight into living with a snake in my garage. Unfortunatly, my wife doesn't share my enthusiam for Cobras, but since owning one, I've met many other Cobra owners or enthusiasts in my area.
Actually, my wife does like to go for late night rides if the weather is nice and I
don't rev the engine much past 4000 rpm!
My two teenage daughters tolerate my snake only because it attracts the boys! My next Cobra will probably be a 289 version with under the car exhaust, no stripe or roll bar, and a stereo! I know, it sounds like I'm getting soft, but I DO love my wife and I would like for her to enjoy my toys as much as I do.