Thread: Reptyl....
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Les,

I don't think the 302 size big ends will be a problem. From memory the 351 Windsor is famous for it's extra beefy big end journals. Guys in the US are regularly taking 351 Windsors out to as big as 427 so 377 isn't a big leap. I'd be more concerend with rod length ratios. If you could get some pistons with higher gudgeon pins and run longer rods I reckon it'd be a winner. I wonder if the smaller journal and con rod big end will add up to less rotating mass? Craig would be the one to talk to as he has a big cube Windsor (It's a tall deck SVO block though). 377 isn't a big capacity jump. Would you get better bang for your buck with a set of well ported alloy heads for similar cash?

Jason,

I'm not exactly rolling in cash, I'm building my car on a pretty tight budget and doing 90% of the work myself. I pick up parts when I can afford them and try to catch the bargains when they turn up.

Buying the LS1 motor when I did forced my hand a bit. I wanted the US Camaro or Corvette version and a new motor was prefered but not essential. The motors at Eagle were selling like hot cakes and I got the 2nd to last one and a friend got the last one for his Classic Revival. They had already jumped up $700 from when they first started selling them and the next batch are expected to be arround 8 or 9 grand.

I'm not looking for huge HP numbers but I know with this combination I'll be able to get 400+ HP down further the track with very little work (and still be streetable and emissions legal).

See you this Thursday

Cheers