View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Ahaaa…. Love it!! Great note Hersh!!

And I do not believe this is a minority view. The majority just does not engage as the bashers seem to.

I’d like to add some input from the other side. Input from those you will likely never hear from on CC.

In all, I probably gave a dozen rides during the fling. Without exception, the riders could not thank us enough. I almost felt guilty because I was having such a blast and they were thanking us?

One memorable ride at the airport.

A little boy, about 4 or 5 and very timid. He wanted to ride in the worst way, but very apprehensive. His mother asked if it would be OK if her son rode on her lap. Absolutely! This was for CF and contributors were in charge! This was a two ticket ride! With the help Flyin Freddie, working the loading area, Freddie helped the lady enter the car and then lowered the youngster on her lap, hyping the ride all the time. Who wouldn’t be excited with Freddie hyping things up?? We explained that you couldn’t go racing without a seat belt so we buckled the belt around both of them.

Now ready to go, I asked the little boy what he wanted. Drag race or Slalom? “Drag” without hesitation. We approached the start line. I asked if he was ready and he shook his head. You could tell he was still not totally convinced that he was making the right decision. Off we went!! This was not a tire smoking, 90mph ride. It was a fast start, but never braking traction and winding high enough in 1st and 2nd to make lots of noise.

We got to the end and the face on this youngster was priceless. A grin that a surgeon would have trouble removing. He said he was going home to tell his brother HE went drag racing in a Cobra! His mother explained that his 15 year old brother did not come out to the airport because it was going to be boring. LOL

Again, another rider (two in this case) who just couldn’t say thanks enough! This is what I remember most about the fling. The people. Everyone was just so great.

I know some would really like to lock things down with “rules”, but remember why we are doing this. Given tons of rules rather than discretion and this ride never could have happened.

Craig