Thread: Average Age?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2000, 10:08 AM
Bud Man
Visit my Photo Gallery

OK here's my two cents worth. I'm 49, live in Texas, but grew up in Southern California. I lived in Westchester, which was about 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) to Shelby American's two converted hangers off of Imperial Highway. I would ride my Schwinn Stingray to the facility and watch them load and unload GT 350's on and off the trucks. I remember seeing the unpainted 427's sitting on blocks, looking forlorn and abandoned. I remember feeling bad because they were just stored outside, exposed to the elements. I would have ridden all the way to Venice (the other direction) to have caught a glimpse of that facility, but I was only about 11, and probably not interested yet.

My best friend Jim lived next door to someone who worked at Shelby American - as I recall his name was Ron. Ron was about 35 years old, and would come home each week with somehing different. One day a 289, the next a GT 350, but to my knowledge, never a 427. One day, Jim and Ron showed up in a '67 GT 350 and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride to Galpin Ford (still there) in the San Fernando Valley. Naturally, I jumped at the chance. What a trip! When we entered the front door of the dealership, there front and center in the showroom was a white 427 (street) with a huge red ribbon and bow attached and the words "Buy me for your baby". It seems that the sticker (about $7500) was just too much money, and the dealer was looking for some relief from S/A....that's why Ron was there. Well, they agreed to mark it down to $6700. I went home, and implored my Dad to buy it, but he just smiled and said that the Chevelle with the 307 and Powerglide would have to do.

Well, anyway, I've been in love with these cars since they were putting them together, and although the originals are long out of reach, I am about to decide on a replica. So, here's to Carroll, Ken, Al, Peter, John, Phil, Jerry, Ron and to anybody else I might have missed at Shelby who have given me such great memories! Keep up the great site!!!