View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Avalon Runway Blast - c'mon guys!

So, who said this couldn't happen????? I just read this post from another forum, dated 26/6/03.

Yesterday, Brendon Manion’s RF40 (the car that was entered in this year’s Targa Tasmania) was officially clocked at 282 km/h!!! (176.25mph). No, this isn’t a tall tale about the day we buzzed a quiet little country town with the local constabulary on tow. This run was done at Avalon Airfield in country Victoria, as part of an article for Motor Magazine. The article lined up some of the fastest cars in Australia and used a speed trap to get the actual speed (as opposed to the speed on the clock, which apparently had the needle butted up against the end-stop beyond 300km/h). Tacho, I’m told, sat on a cool 6,800 RPM. Hmmm maybe with a slightly taller final drive ratio… who knows??? The pilot was a well-known local race-car driver come media personality, by the name of Cameron McConville. It was interesting to hear that he made some pretty positive comments about the stability of the RF40, both at speed and under hard braking.

Anyone able to keep an ear out to see when he next high speed shootout is on? Zoom magazine is interested, but we'll need three or four tough Cobras and I suppose the contacts in the airport to make it happen....