View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Default There Mad

Found this on the web...

Imagine this, traveling along a Japanese super highway in an 800 horsepower GTR, it’s 3am in the morning and we are creeping past the local High way patrol that pose no threat in their very under powered Toyota Caldina. Following closely behind is Masa, local car dealer, in what he says, is a very mild 500PS Soarer twin turbo 5 speed. But for what we are about to get up to tonight this car will be hard to catch. As we pull away from the city lights a train line appears to the left of us. My pilot for the night, Kazu, owner of Technical Spot Z performance shop in Nagoya, slows and pulls to the side of the road to wait for the next Shinkensan “Bullet Train” that will be passing through at an estimated speed of 260-290 Klm/h. He knows from years of experience, that to be successful in the street drags, he must be able to go from a standing start and hold station with the train before the end carriage passes. The train is over 500m long and by that time if everything is well we should hold steady.

The adrenelin of watching this bright light coming from a distance is awesome, to assist with the start of this race, Masa stands on the side of the road to signal go, Kazu takes the GTR up to 8500RPM knowing that take-off is only seconds away. As Masa’s arm drops we are hit with an earth shaking roar from the train, combine this with sitting in a 800 horsepower GTR that has just launched at nearly 9000 RPM is enough to blow your mind. 1st gear is over super quick with massive wheel spin, quick hit of rev limiter and several flashes of the shift light, 2nd gear enables us to put some more power to the ground but not unleashing all the beast. The acceleration just gets better and better, as we get into the top of 3rd gear you can now make out the carriage windows, information overload, Tacho, Boost gauge, Speed meter, shift light like your local disco strobe, and my god the acceleration. 4th gear and the external waste gate is screaming, and I now find myself clenching to the seat with a foot firmly pressed on the fire wall. The train and occupants are clearly visible although we had pushed as hard as we could the last carriage went past us just on to the shift for 5th gear.

Last edited by justbetter; 07-03-2003 at 07:59 PM..