View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, 351W
Not Ranked     

Southernfriedcj,

I asked the same question about the BMW parts. It's my understanding they are remanufactured. All the rotors, pads, seals, bearings are replaced. Items like spindles are checked and used if within spec.

As for comparisons with the Superformance car:
Fit and finish: both are very good, the biggest difference I noticed here was the door hinge, the BDR is flat and large and very comfortable to rest your knee against, the Superformance was actually painful to my knee (I'm 6'2", 250#'s so maybe it was just my build) Also related to size but having nothing to do with fit and finish is the 2" added length of a BDR, by far the way more comfortable for me than either a SPF or a FFR.

Both car really look manufactured. One touch I really like on our BDR is the polished stainless steel expansion tank and radiator hoses.

The large fans and shroud and aluminum radiator look very good in both cars.

The BDR has a powder coated frame, I can't remember if the SPF does.

Both have leather seats and decent carpet.

Both have nicely finished trunks. The trunk is amazing in both. If you carry stuff like beach chairs and a long umbrella, cooler etc, you would be hard pressed to do that in a FFR with it's much narrower trunk.

I had to ask Reg the obvious question: why is the BDR about $10K less than a SPF. One huge reason is the exchange rate has changed from 2.5:1 to 8:1 from the time that SPF started importing to the time BDR started importing. SPF couldn't reduce their price as the exchange rate changed because it would hurt the resale value of their earlier customers cars.

Here's one more $ issue to consider. If you want 17" wheels with a BDR it's an $850 option. Granted they are bolt ons but Team III makes a great looking cover. You can't get 17"'s on a SPF you have to get additional wheels and tires from your dealer. Because they're pin drives you'll spend another $4K.

The SPF comes with a tonneau top and a convertible top standard which are optional on the BDR. I'm lucky enough in Southern California that the car only comes out when the weather is perfect, which is most of the year. In Georgia you may not mind the look of the fasteners that are permanently mounted on the body so you can have a top.

John and Leeann