View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been watching F1 since the early 80's and over the years the arguments between the protagonists and antagonists on any implemented changes and the future of F1 has been as interesting as the racing. Gives one something to do and focus on during the week and between races. Maybe this has been the success of F1, with due consideration to the Great Bernie. Now it has finally hit the Cobra Forum !! Great stuff. From what I have read this argument played itself out through the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now into the next millenium. The switch from front engined to rear engined cars. The high wings on the Lotus's in the late 60's from Chapman. The Brabham fancar and 6 wheeled Tyrrell of the late 70's. The turbo 4 cyl. of the 80's. The aerodynamics, driver-aids and revenues of the 90's. In this early part of the decade we see the same issues as we left the 90's with. What next ? We are currently seeing a wave of longitudinal assymetry on the cars.

When I read about the technical developments on an F1 car I am amazed every time. Numatic valves and wide angle V's. The new brake drums (??) on the Ferrari. Chifo Jr summed it up - "I think that you may have overlooked the premise of F1. It is to be the epitome of automotive technology". This form of motorsport can be likened to the Space Race. The innovation that is realised from F1 does find its way into our everyday cars. I scoffed at this suggestion in the 90's but today we have ABS, launch control, semi-automatic transmissions with steering-wheel paddle shifters. The engineers of our cars would not reseach these luxuries and neccessities as they would be too expensive.

What makes it possible in F1 is the huge sources of revenue generated. Budweiser just paid $80 million for a couple of 1 foot decals on the side of the Williams. Where would $80 million have taken them in Nascar, IRL or Cart ? So why F1, because of the huge following worldwide and F1's influence of those followers. Whether they be protagonists and antagonists of F1 or any aspect of it, they keep on watching and talking.

Did you see Gordon's face when he stepped out of that Williams after his testdrive. He was amazed by the technology and its implementation. BTW I was very impressed with his drive and results. Many American drivers have tried their hand at F1 and not succeeded. He did good and I would love to see him in a race.

Well I say let them push the limits of automotive engineering. Not many other forms of motorsport do. Who knows what we will be driving in 2010.

Fred, you are right that was one epic race on Sunday. Took my mind back to Senna/Prost/Mansell. It is worth sitting through 10 average races to see one like that. Once you get on the inside of F1 you are hooked as it is the best scripted reality show in the world. Hey I actually feel like a Bud after that !!!