View Single Post
Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

I am not meaning to throw a wrench in this discussion but I have a 8.8 live axle and I love it. I drive every weekend and have made 4-5 trips to the track with perhaps 25 passes. IMO the live axle is best for the street and straight track as it hooks hard and is extremely durable. The IRS is superior in ride quality and will no doubt out perform on autcross . I do not autocross . If my car rides harder or bumpier than IRS it does not matter to me because I prefer the off line or low roll traction trade off. I have never pushed my car through curves where I exceeded the limits of my suspension. I prefer the live axle because I drive under conditions that may favor it. My rear axle does not ever hop or bind, it was pinioned and centered at a chassis shop. It never goes out to the side and when over powered will drop 2 straight lines for as long as desired. The FFR 3 link is a great compromise between the two as if provides more live axle flexibility and is reported to hook very well. You have that 3 link option. The way we drive , what we expect in the ride and performance of our cars are personal preferences. If you plan on Autox got IRS.
Mine is primarily a sunny weekend street/highway and cruise night roller.