Thread: "Vacation" Time
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The kayak-looking boat is a closed canoe, normally called a C-1 (singly paddled canoe, as opposed to a C-2 which is a doubles boat). A C-1 differs from a kayak in two ways: I kneel in the boat (prayer position helps a lot! ), and I use a single bladed paddle. There are some advantages (better vision over the big stuff, the boat spins better) and disadvantages (less speed, and a good brace only on one side). Since I originally learned in an open canoe, the transition was relatively easy. I even taught myself how to roll.

Most people cringe at the idea of kneeling, but I find it more comfortable than kayak-sitting with my legs straight out - it's much easier on the back (which in my case is prone to be "bad"...).

I was fortunate to have part of the US slalom team train at my local river, so I "stole" a lot of technique, and used their gates whenever I could. I trained for a year before I entered my first novice race in C-1 class. Over the years, I estimate that I've gone through about half-a-million practice gates. It's something that I enjoy, and it's a dirt-cheap hobby which also keeps me in shape. When it doesn't hurt me.

I also help run a local race on the Farmington River (Punch Brook Slalom ) for open canoes, C-1 and C-2s, and kayaks.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net