View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Ant - I have all good things to say about the 110 Mallory, but I'd scare you if I gathered all the failed 140s together and took a photo of them. I personally have seen more than 15 failures of the 140 on high-perf street cars. I have a big question mark over their quality control, specifically as it relates to clearances / tolerances within the pump. Interestingly, no metal fragments ever seem to come from the pumps as they fail, but they sure don't pump fuel like they should after they start getting noisy.

I can't remember how much power you're currently making, but my own car has had a Mallory Comp 110 for probably 7 years now, without a problem. When I had a 13:1 compression 472 cube big block in the car making a genuine 590hp, the little 110 pump did the job without fail. I fitted the motor and fuel pump the night before a big drag race, and was worried stiff about the capability of such a "small" pump. We monitored fuel pressure during the run, checked spark plugs after each run etc, etc. Mot a problem. After that, I was confident that the pump could keep up, and it's been gong strong ever since.