View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

While I can't answer the questions about the bellhousing, I'd like to comment on your trans choice.

Whether you end up with a Doug Nash or the X2C Tremec, I think you will not only find the car undriveable at anywhere near full throttle, but simply dangerous.

My motor made 859hp and 705lb/ft. I dearly wanted a G-Force GF5R 5 speed, but the costs involved in getting a street driveable manual trans behind my motor were just too much. A clutch assembly capable of transmitting the power would have been a pain on the street - not so much for pedal pressure associated with the clamping pressure, but more the metallic composition of the clutch, along with the solid (non-sprung) hub.

This hard-hitting clutch combo, along with the suspension unloading on each gearchange, all succeeds in unsettling the car. With your power level, I can promise you that the slightest dip or peak in the road, the tiniest moist patch on the road, the application of 1/2 throttle instead of 1/3 throttle -- in fact ANYTHING other than cruising, will get your tires spinning. I took my car to the racetrack a couple of months ago, and the car was wheelspinning at 141mph down the backstraight. That's not 141mph total tire speed, but it actually STARTED spinning at 141. The entire time on the track was spent modulating the throttle in an attempt to get some sort of reasonable forward motion.

The only thing that made the car anywhere near useable was the auto transmission. Being able to hold a steady throttle while changing gears gave me at least some chance of getting some of the power down.

If I were building another high powered Cobra, I wouldn't put anything other than an auto in it. I know Cobras should have three pedals, and it killed me to put in a slushbox, but it was perhaps the only sensible thing I did with this car of mine.

Good luck with yours.