Thread: Dog Training
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I own an former search and rescue German Shepard. He recently had a minor stroke (age 12) but those full size dogs are a great deterrent to anyone contemplating a break in.

I had a friend who had a well trained Shepard who was confronted by a intruder. The "would be" bad guy hit the dog on the head with a piece of pipe. He didn't hit hard enough, though. In the process, the dog literally tore the guy's achilles and calf muscle out of his leg. No more burglaries for this guy. He is using a walker for the next forty years.

The great thing about dogs as a deterrent is that people don't know how to anticipate how a dog will fight; hence, how do you go about defending against them? If a dog like mine or Jamo's puts one bite into you, it is going to be a case of the big hurt.

Some people think that because they are two to three times the size of a dog, they can easily defend against one. What people forget is that a well trained guard dog will have you on your back in no time. All leverage is lost.