View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Jeez - you guys talk too much. I'm away from a computer for a few days, and you're already on the second page of this thread......

El Presidente - Like Jack and Les have already mentioned, the Accusump.com website tells you all about the oil accumulators.
Moroso make a copy of the Canton product (as you know), but if you were a true Victorian you should have looked at VICTORIAN Performance Wholesale..... http://www.vpw.com.au/asp/product_pa...sub_cat_id=719

You might like the price listed there a little more than Rocket's pricing. Mr Rocket (G.C.) has to try to make as much as he can to keep all his Top Fuel cars running...

I would definitely recommend one of these accumulators. The electric valve cost a bit more and flows a little bit less, but you don't have to worry about opening the valve before starting and closing it before turning the engine off. If you can cope with remembering those two chores (and I've heard that SOME Victorians may be capable of remembering them), then I'd go with the manual valve.

While the engine's running, it's the pressure difference between the stored pressurised oil and the engine's oil pressure that determines whether oil will be flowing to the accusump or your engine. Example - your engine makes 60psi at a steady cruise. Your Accusump will therefore hold 3 litres of oil at 60psi in the canister. If you go hard into a corner and you uncover the oil pump pickup, your engine oil pressure will drop. When the engine oil pressure drops, the piston inside the canister pushes as much oil as is necessary to equalise the pressures. The hope is that your oil pump will start working long before you have used the entire 3 litres out of the Accusump.

In any case, I used a Canton road-race style sump with all the trap doors and other assorted scrapers and windage trays etc, etc. I hope that I won't ever have to voercome oil surge, but I'm confident the Accusump will do the job. I just love the way you can have good oil pressure before you've even turned the motor on. That's gotta help the engine have a long and happy life.

Neil from the Young Ones says in the Castrol ads that engines have feelings to, so I'm just doing my bit to make my engine comfortable