View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default factory built vs. kit for insurance

Someone noted above the importance of whether something is quote; "built in a factory or by the owner as a kit" for insurance purposes. I would love to hear some of those who have built the kits and what your experiences were getting insurance. Since I just bought my Cobra, my experience is fresh and I will recount it here.

Mine is a factory built Lonestar. Now what factory built means in terms of quality control, or unions I do not know but Lonestar has a pretty impressive facility and they take a great deal of time putting together their cars. But when I started calling around for insurance I immediately wiped the sweat off my brow that I had a factory build. First of all, if you buy a Cobra at all, a good portion of the insurance companies I talked to, would not insure it period due to the number of fatalities in them. When I did get in touch with the ones that would, they said they would not insure a "kit" as in, built by the owner.

If you are a newbie out there and are at the crux of this decision - whether to factory build or build yourself- at least as far as insurance is concerned, I would strongly recommend to have it built in the factory!

J