View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually NASCAR engines right now are on a 12.5 to 1 compression rule and have been for three or four years now..... They use aftermarket blocks and all other parts are aftermarket top shelf parts,they turn as much as 9300 rpms and right now they are saying they are in the 750 to 800 hp range,running 110 octane leaded gas....The restrictor plate engines are in the 450 to 500 hp range....

They only run the engine one race and all engines are rebuilt after each race. Some of the parts are re-used but not that many,mostly cranks/rods/heads,most other parts are discarded after one race....Some teams even change valve springs after practice before the race. Those springs may have less than 100 miles on them....

You would be suprised to know they only run the rear ring and pinion one race and the rear end housing 3 races before changing them out... Also, all electronic boxes (MSD) are changed after every race,even the back-up box that may have never been used....

There are a number of sites that sell these used parts,some parts sell very low....

I think I remember reading on this site some time ago about a Cobra built for Goldberg (the wrestler) with an Ernie Elliot 454 stroker in it. It was built with mostly all NASCAR parts and said to make around 850 to 900 hp with a 930 cfm Holley.... I'm sure those NASCAR boys could build these engines and probably do,but I do not think they would be very street friendly or have a very long lifespan....

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 09-18-2003 at 11:11 AM..