View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     
Cool 1 Professionally built PVC-CAI going cheap!

Howdy all,

Well it’s 04:15 in the morning, I’m at work and I’m board.

Thought I’d share what I’ve been working on over the last week or so.
Judy’s be hassling me for years about the state of the Cobras engine bay.
It’s not all that bad by anyone’s standards, but isn’t quite up to the over all standard of the car with the bonnet closed.
So I’ve done something that I said I would never do. I’ve gone and bought some fancy, shinny under bonnet jobbies. You know the chrome braided lines the shinny blue fittings (all that crap).
I hope Judy doesn’t read this, cause it doesn’t look to bad, probably should have done it years ago. I got the stainless header tank polished and nice chrome cap for the top.
Took the alternator apart and had the alloy polished and painted the center bit and the front pulley assembly blue (looks great).

So the only bit letting the bay down now is the eight metres of 75mm tufflex hose winding its way through the engine bay ducting cold air from the front of the car in to my two throttle bodies.
I’ll cut a long story short (probably to late). The throttle bodies hang out each side of the engine and have the CAI running to the front of the car.
What I want to do is: using 75mm tubing, put a 180 degree bend on each side running to the back of the intake assembly once back there I want to bring it up and over the top of the throttle bodies to draw air from the bonnet scope.
The main problems I’ve come across is the space between the top of the intake system and the underside of the bonnet and the lip on the bonnet that under laps the engine bay when closed.

My first attempt looked fantastic. To save on money I thought I would build an air box at the rear of the throttle body from PVC. Paint it the same colour as the TBs, fit an air filter and run polished stainless tubes in to it from either side. I got very excited when I found a pluming part (used in a toilet system I think) that had a 45 deg 100mm bend running in to a letterbox shaped tube. With a little bit of modification to the underside it fitted on top of the TB’s fantastically. Only problem was the 100mm outlet at the rear left no room for the pluming needed to get the bends flowing from the TB’s in to the 100mm tube or in to an airbox system. (SCARP ONE PVC CAI PROTOTYPE). A whole 42 bucks down the tube. I’ll have to take a photo and post it before I bin the scope, it looks cool.

I’ve been plotting the next step and I think it’s going to be a winner. But I’ll share that at a later date, maybe with photos (but only if nobody laughs at the PVC CAI)

I’ll just add this bit to end of the post.

Should put it over the top for the longest post of the week.
And that’s saying something with Bernie working his magic.

And did you notice. A whole email without hanging it on the QLD boys.
I figure Wakefield is getting close, they may gang up and take me out.
Still another couple of weeks to go. Their tiny little brains will have forgotten about all the nasties before then.

ps
TB - Throttle Body
CAI - Cold Air Intake
(someone would have asked)