View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     
Angry

Roscoe / Eric,

How many of the the 17 witnesses have you spoken with? What facts do you have that allow you to conclude that tax evation was the primary reason these folks used TU?

I've said before, and I'll say it again, STOP the false accusations!

I've spoken directly with almost all of the 17 witnesses, and the primary reason for using TU was to avoid the smog issue with a new engine, not to avoid taxes. If you read the inditment (sp?) thoroughly, you will see that the dates listed for each "infraction" are pre-2002 - IOW, before SB100 existed. Prior to SB100, there were very few options on how to title a new replica with a new engine in CA, and avoid the smog requirements. Yes, those listed in the inditment (sp?) are all SPF owners, and without going into specific reasons why, it is no surprise that most SPF owners install new "not smogable" engines (the most popular being a new stoked 351).

Those are the facts. If you did your homework before posting false accusations, then you would have learned this.

If you did further homework, then you would find that there are 100's of Cobra replica owners in CA who used TU to avoid the smog issue. However the state doesn't care much about smog offenders - there's no money in chasing smog offenders, but the AG feels that if there's one owner who went thru TU and paid lower then expected taxes, then there must be more. The AG is only following the money trail - it's a gamble on their end if they find more owners who didn't pay their full share of their taxes.

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 09-28-2003 at 12:08 PM..