View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I was getting rub marks on the top of the left side pipes and on the bottom of the right side pipes.

I had to remove the motor mount to drill it. Removing the mount wasn't very difficult though. I just placed a floor jack under the oil pan and lifted the motor a bit to get the clearance I needed. I'm running a Canton pan which is pretty solid. I might hesitate to do the same thing on a factory Ford pan.

Before removing the motor mount, I scribbed around the perimeter with an awl so I could tell where to put the bolt where it wouldn't interfere with the frame.

By putting a bolt through the motor mount, it doesn't really hit on anything. The motor mount is two metal plates which are somehow adhered to a big hunk of rubber in between. You drill the hole through one metal plate, through the rubber and then through the other metal plate. When the motor torques, the rubber on the left mount is stretched. The bolt limits how far the rubber can stretch.

I'm not sure what this modification will do to the lifespan of the motor mount if anything. It might even extend it since it limits how far the rubber can stretch (thereby decreasing the forces that will try to pull the rubber away from from the metal plate).

I didn't take any photos as I was doing the install. I'll see if I can take a couple tonight.

Chris