View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Hal has one of the better points so far as selling one of these cars in our area of Northern Calif. goes. The buyer beware law we have seems to be enforced on an arbritrary basis up here. When I sold a 1975 somewhat battered Mercury Comet that a man just wanted to use as a doner car even though it was still running and licensed and had passed the safety and emissions tests that year, a friend at our DMV told me to have a paper written and signed by the buyer that he knows the car is a used car and that he agrees that in no way will he try to holeme responsible later on if something breaks, fails, or anything else. And this just to make sure I was covered on a car that was going to be dismantled and just the running gear and a few other parts used on hihs street rod. Also I was told to not release the car until he came to me with proof that he now had it over in his name. Seems some person around here a few years ago lost almost everything in a lawsuite because he sold a car to another and let that person drive it to the DMV. On the way the person buying the car ran a red light and hit another car causing some serious injuries. The court held the original owner responsible as the car was still in his name. So there really seems to be no cut and dried method to any of this other than CYA with as much paper work as possible.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery